Feed-in tariff (FIT) FAQs


How does FIT work?

The FIT Scheme allows customers to generate their own electricity, which Hudson Energy Supply UK Limited (Hudson Energy) as the FIT Licensee, will pay you for. Payments are made for the electricity generated by the micro-generation device. You can use this generated electricity in your home, giving you the opportunity to save money on your electricity bills. Any excess electricity generated can be exported to the local grid and we can pay you for this too.


How do I register for FIT?

You can only apply for FIT once you’ve installed your system. You can apply to Hudson Energy or any of the other FIT Licensees (a full list can be found on Ofgem's website). You can register with Hudson Energy using the application form here.


Upon receipt of your completed application, if you are eligible, we will register your installation on Ofgem's Central FIT Register (CFR) as well as on our own systems. If your application is incomplete or you are ineligible to join the scheme we will contact you with further details.


What are the financial benefits of renewable energy generation?

As soon as your panels are installed, you’ll be able to use the electricity they generate, so you may use less electricity from your energy company.


If your panels are eligible and you apply for the FIT Scheme, your FIT provider will make payments to you on behalf of the Government for any electricity generated.

If applicable, you could also be eligible for an export payment based on the energy that your panels export back to the grid.


How do I know if my installation is eligible for the FIT Scheme?

You are eligible if your renewable source installation is smaller than 5MW capacity and you meet the below criteria:

  • Your installation is accredited by the Micro-Generation Certification Scheme (MCS).
  • Your installation is on the Ofgem Central FIT Register.
  • You already receive or have registered to receive Renewables Obligation Certificates (ROCs) before 31st March 2010.


How do I get paid?

FIT payments will be made following receipt of your quarterly readings. Payments are based on the number of units generated from your meter. Payments are made by BACS, directly into your chosen bank account, or into the bank account of a person that you nominated in the application.

We will not pay you until we receive your meter readings, so it is important that you supply readings every quarter, as detailed in your Welcome Letter.

FIT payments are made quarterly following receipt of your quarterly generation meter reading. You will be paid before the end of the month following receipt of readings (e.g. if your reading is received on 15th August, we will make a payment before 30th September).

If for any reason you change your bank details, please let us know immediately by completing the bank change form, to ensure that payments are made to the correct account.


How much will I get paid?

The rates you’ll be paid are detailed in your Welcome Letter and are based on the details supplied as part of your registration. Your generation tariff and/or export tariff is retail price index (RPI) linked and may be subject to an annual change by the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State could change the generation tariff and/or export tariff at any point. If this happens, these changes will be reflected in your next payment statement following the tariff change.

If you’ve applied for ‘generation and deemed export’, this will be calculated by reference to a percentage (shown on your FIT plan) which is determined by the Secretary of State and is published no less than one month before the beginning of each FIT year (which begins on 1st April). The Secretary of State may amend these percentages. Any changes will take effect on your next payment statement.

You can find the latest tariff tables for the FIT Scheme on the Ofgem website.


Can I pay my energy bills with the money I earn from FIT?

No, your FIT payment and utility bills are separate and can't be offset against one another so you'll still need to pay your energy bill as normal.


Will I have to pay tax on my FIT payments?

Domestic customers do not currently need to pay tax on FIT payments, however, if you're a business customer, please check with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).


Will my FIT payments rise with inflation?

FIT payments are adjusted every year to allow for inflation, in line with the Retail Price Index (RPI). This change occurs on 31st March each year and will be printed on your quarterly statement.


What happens if I have more than one installation?

You can apply for FIT payments for all your installations, as long as they don’t produce more than 5MW of electricity in total. You may get paid different rates for each installation depending on the tariff set at point of eligibility for each installation.

What tariff will I get?

Your tariff will depend upon many factors. Firstly, we need to know what type of technology you have installed at the property. Secondly, we need to know the total installed capacity of your micro-generation system. If you have a solar photovoltaic (PV) installation we must also consider your energy efficiency rating. FIT tariffs are controlled by Ofgem and DECC and can change at any time so your tariff will also be dependent upon when you joined the FIT Scheme. A full list of tariff tables can be found www.ofgem.gov.uk. We will tell you which tariff your system qualifies for in your Welcome Letter.


How often should I submit meter readings?

Readings should be submitted quarterly. Your first reading (also known as your opening meter reading) is used to commence your FIT payments and you should send us subsequent readings every 90 days from the date of this first reading.

Your welcome letter will advise when your second meter reading is due and invoices will notify you when subsequent readings are due.

You should not submit meter readings less than 90 days from your last meter reading. If we receive a meter reading before it is due, no payment will be made and you will be required to resubmit your reading after 90 days have passed. Readings for RPI tariff changes can be provided on or around 31st March, regardless of when your next quarterly reading is due.


What is an EPC and how do I get one?

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) shows how energy efficient your building is. It’s valid for 10 years from the point of issue.


The rating on your EPC can directly affect the rate you’re paid for your Feed-in Tariff, it’s therefore important that you provide the latest version of the certificate at the point of your application. If you don't have an EPC, you'll find some tools on the Energy Saving Trust website, which you can use to give you an idea of the level you should expect for your property. Because your EPC rating can directly affect the rate you get paid in the FIT Scheme, you may wish to make some energy efficiency improvements to your property before your installation is commissioned.

Please note: if a valid EPC isn’t provided at the time of your application you’ll get the lower rate for the duration of your installation’s eligibility period. If your property is EPC exempt, you’ll need to provide written confirmation from an accredited energy assessor at the point of applying to confirm this.

To get an EPC, you'll need to find an accredited domestic/non-domestic energy assessor by searching online or calling a directory enquiries number.


What is an EPC exemption letter?

If an Accredited Energy Assessor believes that a property cannot be assessed for an Energy Performance Certificate they will provide an EPC exemption letter. This letter must detail the reasons why the property cannot be assessed.

Ultimately you, as the ‘generator’ of electricity will be responsible for providing evidence that your property is exempt however this must be signed by an accredited energy assessor. Please note: this is only applicable to solar photovoltaic (PV) customers.


What is an MCS certificate?

A Micro-generation Certification Scheme (MCS) certificate confirms that your installation has been enrolled within the Micro-generation Certification Scheme and has been installed by an accredited MCS-certified installer.

The MCS is the independent Government-backed scheme that certifies micro-generation products such as solar photovoltaic panels, hydro, anaerobic digestion, wind or micro combined heat and power. This is part of the Government funded FIT Scheme and is an element of the UK’s overall effort in meeting EU 2020 Renewable Obligations targets.

If your installation was fitted after 15th July 2009 and has a declared net capacity of 50kW or under, it must be MCS accredited to qualify for FIT payments. If your device is MCS accredited, the company that installed it should only provide you with an MCS certificate on the completion of your installation.


What is Renewables Obligation Order Feed-in Tariff (ROO-FIT) accreditation?

This accreditation applies to customers with hydro technology or any technology with a total installed capacity greater than 50kWh. Customers must obtain ROO-FIT accreditation from Ofgem before applying for the FIT Scheme. Ofgem will supply a ROO-FIT number which will be used to register your installation.


What is a deployment cap?

Introduced on 15th January 2016, deployment caps detail the set amount of installed capacity that can apply for FIT in a given quarter. Ofgem monitors the number of new installations that have been registered and will notify all licensees when a cap is reached. If a cap is reached, you can still send an application to us, but we will not be able to process your application until the next time a cap is open.


What happens if I move home?

If you take your micro-generation system with you, you will lose the right to FIT payments for that installation. If the installation remains at the property the new owner/occupier will be able to transfer the FIT payments into their name. The transfer of the FIT Installation will need to be agreed as part of the sale of your home.

Please speak to our FIT team on 0330 088 2679 on the date you move out, providing a meter reading from this date to allow us to close your account.


I'm a landlord. Can I claim FIT payments for renewable installations at the properties I rent out?

Yes, so long as your installation(s) qualify for FIT payments and you register the account as normal.


What is a multi-site generator (MSG)?

If you’re responsible for 25 sites or more, you will be classed as an MSG and things will work a little differently.

You must notify us of your MSG status in the declarations section of the application form so that we can ensure that you receive the correct tariff.


How do I change my FIT Licensee?

This is called 'switching'. If you want to switch to another FIT Licensee then you must let us know. Your new FIT Licensee will arrange a final meter read with us and advise Ofgem. We will arrange your final payment once your switch is complete. Your records with us will be closed and your new FIT Licensee will commence payment from the date of your final read accordingly. 

Please note: all tariffs are set by DECC and Ofgem and are the same across all FIT providers.


What happens if I change electricity supplier?

If you change your electricity supplier, your FIT tariff will not be affected. You have the option to continue with Hudson Energy for FIT or transfer your FIT to your new electricity supplier; this is called ‘switching’.


Will my electricity meter work differently?

Your electricity meter will continue to record the electricity you use, but it may tick over at a slower rate when your panels are generating electricity. Your meter may even stop for a short space of time if you're generating more than you're using.

If your electricity meter stops overnight, or starts to go backwards please call us as we’ll need to change your meter.

You can call our FIT team to book an appointment on 0330 088 2679. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm.


What do I do if I need to make a complaint about my Feed-in Tariff?

If you think there has been a problem with your payments, or any aspect of the service provided by Hudson Energy, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0330 088 2679. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday, 8am - 6pm.